Wednesday, February 2, 2011

reaching an understanding

i've begun being in charge of things, with general success.  small group lessons, nothing too intimidating.  still, filling the role of teacher is rather nerve-wracking.  sitting in front of ten small people reliant on you to provide them with knowledge is surprisingly scary!  i'm sure it'll get better, but for now every lesson makes my heart race.

THANKFULLY, the kids have been so great with me.  they are starting to respect me as a teacher, and generally listen when i am speaking to them.  with exceptions, obviously.  prime example: today a student came to me with a question instead of the lead teacher (yay!) but later the teacher had to remind a different student that, contrary to her personal belief, i am not a toy to be played with (true).  clearly they are still trying to figure out my place in the classroom, but i say mixed amounts of respect > none at all.

i've also begun to notice that the kids are picking up some of my common turns of phrase.  today i apologized to a girl because, when i was handing out graham crackers for snack, i gave her a broken one.  she looked at me and responded "it's ok.  i'll survive."  love it.

so, apart from my major nerves (getting observed for the first time tomorrow!) and lack of sleep, all good things :)

No comments:

Post a Comment